Monday, October 29, 2007

What The Church Fathers Say About The Eucharist Part 3



I hope y'all had a good weekend. I had a busy one, but a good one at that. Well... Is there more from the Church fathers? You bet!
Justin Martyr "'And the offering of fine flour, sirs,' I said, 'which was prescribed to be presented on behalf of those purified from leprosy, was a type of the bread of the Eucharist, the celebration of which our Lord Jesus Christ prescribed, in remembrance of the suffering which He endured on behalf of those who are purified in soul from all iniquity... Hence God speaks by the mouth of Malachi, one of the twelve (prophets) as I said before, about the sacrifices at that time presented by you: 'I have no pleasure in you, says the Lord; and I will not accept your sacrifice at your hands; for, from the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same, My name has been glorified among the gentiles, and in every place incense is offered to My name, and a pure offering; for My name is great among the Gentiles, says the Lord; but you profane it'" Dialogue With Trypho, Chap 41

John Chrysostom "'The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a communion of the Blood of Christ?' (1 Cor 10:16). Very persuasively spoke he, and with awe. For what he says is this: 'This which is in the cup is that which flowed from His side, and of that do we partake.' But he called it a cup of blessing, because holding it in our hands, we so exalt Him in our hymn, wondering, astonished at His unspeakable gift, blessing Him, among other things, for the pouring it out, but also for the imparting thereof to us all. 'Wherefore if you desire blood,' says He, 'redden not the altar of idols with the slaughter of brute beasts, but My altar with My blood.' Tell me, what can be more tremendous than this? What more tenderly kind?" Homilies on First Corinthians, 24:1
"When you see (the Body of Christ) set before you, say to yourself; 'Because of this Body I am no longer earth and ashes, no longer a prisoner, but free; because of this I hope for heaven, and to receive the good things therein, immortal life, the portion of angels, converse with Christ; this Body, nailed and scourged, was more than death could stand against... This is even that Body, the bloodstained, the pierced, and that out of which gushed the saving fountains, the one of blood, the other of water, for all the world'... This Body has He given to us both to hold and to eat; a thing appropriate to intense love." Homilies on First Corinthians, 24:4
Talk at ya Later

No comments: