Thursday, January 24, 2008

Did Anti-Christian Flames Come from an ESPN Anchor?

By Randy Sly1/24/2008
Catholic Online (http://www.catholic.org/)

WASHINGTON (Catholic Online) – After a night of good-hearted roasting, Mike Golic and Mike Greenburg of “Mike and Mike in the Morning” on ESPN, hung their heads in embarrassment when one of their network co-workers lashed out with a series of expletives. She was booed by the crowd and eventually was pulled off stage. Dana Jacobson, Anchorwoman for ESPN, is the focus of concern by Bill Donohue, President of the Catholic League. According to a report from Don Wildmon, of the American Family Association, Jacobson shouted, “F*** Notre Dame… F*** Touchdown Jesus… F*** Jesus.”.
Read the rest at http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=26565&wf=rsscol

This is what I found on ESPN's web sight

ESPN's Jacobson disciplined for roast remarks
Dana Jacobson, co-host of ESPN2's "First Take," is currently being disciplined for remarks made at a Jan. 11 celebrity roast for ESPN Radio personalities Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic.
Her characterizations of the Notre Dame football program, which have been criticized by a Catholic organization, were deemed "inappropriate" by the network, which issued the following statement from Jacobson:
"I am sorry. My remarks about Notre Dame were foolish and insensitive. I respect all religions and did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words. I also deeply regret the embarrassment I've caused ESPN and Mike and Mike.
"My actions at the roast were inappropriate and in no way represent who I am. I won't make excuses for my behavior, but I do hope I can be forgiven for such a poor lack of judgment."

I think there will be plenty of people asking for Dana Jacobson's head. Not me. If Dana did say those horrible things about Jesus Christ. She has just as much a right as anyone to apologise and ask for forgiveness. I think she got carried away in the moment to make a joke. In doing so, didn't realize how far she was going.
I think as Catholics we need to pick our battles. This is worth taking note of, and giving a reprimand. But not worth a full attack of blogers and news outlets slamming Dana Jacobson. She happened to be in the public forum while using poor judgment, on top of her inability to be creative and funny.
Talk at ya Later

No comments: