Monday, December 31, 2007

Tell Me When it Hurts. Now? Now? How about Now?


"He who is estranged seeks pretexts to break out against all sound judgment. A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion." (Prov 18:1-2)
No matter how hard I try, I can not fully appreciate the sacrifice converts to the Catholic Church make. Due to the well intended, but miss guided opinions some of our protestant brothers and sisters have of the Catholic Church.
It truly pains me to see family's ripped apart because someone is thinking about becoming Catholic. But the pain I feel I do not completely understand. I've never had to make a decision that cut right to the heart of a loved one. While at the same time trying to get closer to the one who is Love. I've never had family who bluntly refuse to even make an effort to understand. In other words, I've never had to decide between the Lords Will and family.
One would think it would bring the two together. But in our fallen state sometimes getting closer to God does the opposite with family.
I came across this verse this morning, and it sheds light on some of the reasons why families lash out at those who become Catholic. But the same is true in many cases in families where someone leaves the Church.
"He who is estranged seeks pretexts to break out against all sound judgment. A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion." (Prov 18:1-2) Read and pray over this verse. The wisdom of our Lord is deeper then we can imagine.
Talk at ya Later

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a situation that I find myself in. My wife has gradually become more accepting of my interest in Catholicism and attending RCIA - she has negative associations with the Church from childhood. I believe that this situation is part of God's plan - whatever that may be. Thank you for this quote which is a valuable one to remember.

Anonymous said...

Merci beaucoup, my sweet brother in Christ. Although I am a cradle Catholic, my mother and siblings married out of the Church ... but never quit attending Mass. Then, even though I met my husband at Mass, our religious beliefs are no where comparable. And now, of 4 children, we have one daughter that attends Mass, one son who attends a Christian church of his wife's choice (and they are good and knowledge Christian ... but prefer a dynamic preacher to a monolific priest) ... and a son that prays ... but does not attend any church as does his other sister. I pray every day to Jesus' Divine Mercy to bring our family together in the house of the Lord at some time besides funerals; and also pray to St. Monica for my husband and children. Because I have never doubted my belief in Jesus as Lord and Savior, I cannot comprehend a life without him. Articles like you and Esther and Leslie post ... helps me understand more about our fallen away brethen.
May this 2008 year of the Lord ... bring families closer together ... and nations to the table of peace.
I have a signature that says 'When the love of power ... is replaced by the power of love ... our world will have peace'. May that happen soon.
Je t'aime from your Cajun Sissy in Christ; with the Mother of God ... watching over us and ours.